Friday 24 December 2010

La Paz, Bolivia

Cholitas wrestling up in El Alto is a sort of take on Mexican wrestling but a far poorer show. The most boring thing I've ever seen.
The Church of San Francisco, my bus stop.


This is a fine example of Bolivian cuisine.


This T-Shirt just made me smile.






This is the cemetery in la Paz. An enormous place where bodies are placed 3 high and some are even in apartment like buildings.

This man just made me smile too.




I seem to have been ill most of the time I've been in Peru and Bolivia but La Paz really was the worst. Between the four of us (me, Erik, Heather and Jessica) I don't think we all managed to be out together for a whole day, one of us was always sick! We coined the term waterfalls, Inka waterfalls as each day at least one of us was rushing to the bathroom with severe diarrea. One day I was so sick I couldn't get out of bed so the next day I decided finally to go to the doctors. Where I was actually sent was a hospital. I mentioned about a tick bite that I got in Brazil that I thought I'd removed that seemed a bit swollen. 5 minutes later I was laying on a bed with anethestic and they were removing some tick remains. The girl in the bed next to me had cut her ankle to the bone and there was blood EVERYWHERE. On my way out I saw a wheelbarrow of axes. I'm not sure if it was related. I had to go back the next day for blood tests and a chest xray. Heather and Erik kindly came with me. I was told that I had a lung infection (and I thought I couldn't breathe due to the altitude) and salmonella. Still not convinced (as I wanted a Lymes disease test due to the tick) I went to another medical centre where they made me do a stool sample saying that the results didn't show salmonella but a possible parasite. I obliged and they gave me the results within the hour. I had giardia. A lot of medication and 10 days later I felt much better and signed up to the "Death Road Bike Ride".

No comments:

Post a Comment