Monday 11 April 2011

The Lake District, Patagonia, Argentina











Suzy and I hired a car in Bariloche for 4 days and headed up north to San Martin de los Andes, San Junin de los Andes, Alumine, Villa Pehuenia (for lago Alumine) and back down to Villa la Angostura. We drove (yes, I drove too!) around 900k along some tarmaced but mainly "ripio" roads. Ripio means gravel in Argentina. We were in for a bumpy ride. The hazards we met included herds of cows - just sitting in the middle of the road; horses; and "4x4 only" access as well as the expected snow and mountains. There was hardly any car traffic and so prepared me perfectly for driving upon my return to London.


The area really is outstandingly beautiful and I can truly say that my pictures do not do it justice. The view of the lakes around San Martin de los Andes nearly had me in tears - a weird overwhelming sensation on seeing such a beautiful view....I'm not usually that emotional! And they just got better and better. Marcelo (my friend from Buenos Aires) had told us not to miss Lago Alumine and he was right. It was the only thing that came close to being on Antarctica. There were 360 degree views for miles and miles of lakes and more lakes, volcanoes covered in black earth with patches of newly fallen snow and across the other side - the active volcanoes of Chile.


It was spectacular. Stunning. Beautiful.


And then we went to Uruguay....

No comments:

Post a Comment