Saturday 29 May 2010

Veracruz, city museum beach adventure

Today I woke early and went one of Veracruz's icons el Gran Cafe de la Parroquia where kind waiters patiently explained all the different types of eggs and frijoles to me, before I settled on rancheros. A quartet played live music. An expansive cafe full of jarochos clicking their glasses - a sign they want a refill was a perfect people watching venue. A man had his blood pressure taken, another his shoes shined. But soon I realised everyone was staring at me. In a kind sort of way I guess, but still, I appeared to be the entertainment.

I learned yesterday that there was no need to hide my Lonely Planet guide to Mexico, sunhat and sunscreen - it is obvious to everyone that I am not Mexican.

I went to the Museo de la ciudad where I learned all about Veracruz's past. It's where Hernan Cortes landed and ultimately took Mexico - i knew this already - but it went into lots of detail, lots of maps, photos and paraphenalia and it was free. I was the only person in there.

The beach is where the day really took off. I finally found my way there by bus (after having missed the stop by quite some way, the driver stopped a bus going back in that direction and made the driver wait for me to cross the road and told him to tell me where to get off). I thought I could have a rest but no, no sooner than I put my sarong down an old lady came over to offer me a drink from her SOL cart, courtesy of a group of guys sitting "over there". I accepted a beer, and then a "lesbian couple" ordered another for me. Bizarre. They then continued to send messages to me via anyone who passed by, mainly asking the Beach Tatoo man to kindly leave me alone so they could approach. The guys "over there" got in first. I managed to get rid of them with some 3-1 banter, the lesbian couple waited. Very orderly I thought. Quite British even.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like the adventure has started then! Enjoy. Saw some bad stuff about Guatamala on the news the other day and thought of you, hoping you weren't there yet! Ex

    ReplyDelete