Saturday 30 October 2010

Salvador de Bahia
















We went via Recife and Olinda and arrived in Salvador - about a month ago now - where has time gone?

Nicola had rented an appartment that sleeps five so we picked up Katelyn (she had flown straight there) and finally had some home made food.

Salvador is a weird place. Great nightlife - although we did get maced by the police at a street party. Apparantly that's how they disperse the crowds. Nice.
I was there for 2 weeks in total - not because I liked it but more because I needed the impetus to start travelling again.

The men are pretty gross. I got a henna tatoo on the beach and the guy kissed my neck. Guys would grope you in the street. I ended up looking at the floor so as not to make eye contact with anyone lest they think it means I want to have sex with them. The behaviour was APPALLING!
But the second week I couch-surfed with a cool guy - but he is from Rio, but he did at least restore my faith in Brazilian men....somewhat.
The picture of limbs are from the Igreja do Bom Fim - people take copies of their broken body parts to the church, hang them up and ask God for a cure. Pretty weird.
I did a weeks intensive Portuguese language course and thereby met my next set of travelling friends....

No comments:

Post a Comment