Saturday 17 July 2010

Lago Atitlan - can't believe I forgot to post about this place




Lago Atitlan is one of the most beautiful lakes in the world. I loved it there, and would definitely go back. I was there after Todos Santos and before Mayapedal. This picture was the view from my room.




A storm hit as we travelled on this boat over to San Pedro - the 9th leg of the trip there!


Unfortunately the lake is becoming polluted due to Guatemalan's lack of proper waste collection. There is so much rubbish dumped everywhere around the country and I guess around the lake it ends up in it. I stayed in San Pedro which is kind of hippy. There are no major streets. It's mainly laid out around footpaths which made it kind of tricky to find my way around at first and it's just so dark at night time. Dan befriended Stephanie (from California but lives in Mexico City) and a couple of swingers and a brazilian yoga teacher. We hung out around the lake the first day and when we were about to leave I realised that the Yoga teacher was shagging the husband of Lynne the nice Scottish lady we'd been having lunch with. She realised too. She was a swinger and totally cool with it. I made the decision then and there to not move into their hotel (it wasn't really a hotel, more a few private rooms and they were the only ones there) and to find somewhere else.






No comments:

Post a Comment