Saturday 31 July 2010

Lovely Leon











So I got across the border a couple of days ago. Thankfully out of Honduras and into the land of lovely people. Despite being robbed (only $10) by the officials at the customs border and then by the silly taxi driver (I don't think he did it on purpose), NICARAGUA is my favourite country so far. The people are so nice and friendly.






I went to a Heros museum in Esteli and this morning to another one in Leon - where Jorge guided me through it and I finally understand about the Nicaraguan Revolution. He fought in it with the Sandinistas. Pretty impressive people here. This is the view from the roof of the museum. You can see the old cathedral to the left and two volcanos in the distance.


The last picture is of a mural that says We fought for Freedom and today we will defend it. They are a very proud nation and really should be. I think you should all come and visit Nicaragua!



So later I went to this bookshop - the only one in Leon - and bought a second hand book about the revolution from a very knowledgeable young boy. He remarked also
at the phenomenon that in Central America there are millions of "librerias" but none actually sell books - they're really "papelerias". Shame. Not very good for my future job prospects either!

No comments:

Post a Comment