Friday 4 June 2010

Celestun contd







This Ojo de Agua is near where the Ria de Celestun (freshwater) meets the sea, the golfo de Mexico (there is no petroleo, it's heading to Florida not this way)












This is a bird called something Tigre that we encountered near the Ojo de agua. Apparantly not usually found there. We managed to get really close. Closer than to the flamingoes!



Just before sunset I'm contemplating the litre and a half of beer infront of me.



This photo is just so ridiulous I had to post it. It was incredibly nice fish from La Comida Economica in Celestun. It shows why I will never be taken for a Mexican. I stopped worrying about having my Lonely Planet on show as it might make me look like a tourist days ago when I realised that there was no way in the world - even if I wore the obligatory tight jeans and high heels outfit that all Mexican women don - that I'd be taken for a Mexican. I'd also have to put on about 20 kilos. Did anyone know they have problems with obesity and are blaming it on McDonalds and the influence from the USA. It's absolutely NOTHING to do with the Quesadillas.






Which brings me onto another anecdote. In Celestun there is only one restaurant open after 5pm in the low season (now). Simona, Emilia and I went to it and asked for Guacamole with nachos. They had guacamole and nachos, with other things, but not together, and couldn't put them together for us as it wasn't on the menu. The man went into a total panic trying to figure out what to do and then decided it wasn't possible. The same thing had happened in the morning when I asked for Scrambled eggs with Chorizo instead of the omelet with prawns or the chorizo sandwich. IMPOSIBLE!!!! You probably had to be there but after a day of experiencing this we realised it wasn't exactly a foodies destination. The Flamingoes were good.

No comments:

Post a Comment