Saturday 5 June 2010

Los Cenotes (Waterholes / Caverns)




These are the tree routes that grow into the top of the cave. Some people managed to climb up them, I have no idea how!











Most adventurous day so far. Got up early and went on a Combi - sort of private mini van to Cuzama. The chatted to a Swiss and Argentinian guy so we could share a bici-taxi to the entrance to the Cenotes and afterwards we took a horse drawn cart which ran on a track - like a train track. It's 150 years old


and was used by the Mayans to communicate between the villages. Now it's just used to access the cenotes as they're about 10k away from any roads. There were three and all quite different. One could only be accessed by a very steep ladder...you can see in the photos but it was just so high. I didn't realise what a scaredy-cat I was until today. I loved this trip and travel wise been the best day so far. I had my nicest Mexican meal so far. Pork on a roadside bbq, with rice and tomato sauce. Let's see if I'm ill tomorrow. I did have a hideous return journey in a bus with no openable windows. It was so hot and like a sort of recurring nightmare as every time I woke up we seemed to be in the same place...a square with a huge yellow church, but I realised that all the pueblos along the way looked the same.




Met a really nice Hungarian guy in the hostel so spent the afternoon chatting to him and cooling off in the pool and about to go out for a fiesta tonight - no idea what's on- with Simona who has arrived from Celestun.

No comments:

Post a Comment